Q. How do i transition my pet to ORIJEN foods?
Unfortunately, dogs and cats are often fed the same food for a long period of time, which means a sudden food change makes it difficult for their digestive systems to adapt. That’s why it’s important to introduce new food gradually. Going slowly will give your dog or cat time to adjust to their new food and will also reduce the chances of digestive upset.
Start by mixing 25 percent new food with 75 percent old food. Slowly increase the new food proportionately over 10-14 days until you are feeding 100 percent new food.
Check our diet selector. For more specific dietary needs, please contact our Customer Care department.
Q. What is a rotational diet? Can i do this with ORIJEN?
Rotating between ORIJEN formulas prevents your dog or cat from getting tired of eating the same thing day in and day out, while offering them a great variety in proteins and fats. A good place to start is rotating by the bag – when you have finished one formula, you can try a different recipe.
The first time you introduce a new food for rotation, mix the food 50/50 just to make sure your pet transitions well to the new ORIJEN. However, if your dog or cat is more sensitive, do a full transition when introducing a new ORIJEN food – after that you can change at will.
Q. HOW DO I CHOOSE BETWEEN ORIJEN PRODUCTS?
There are so many options! You can mix and match any way you like, so experiment and see what works best for you and your dog. Our ORIJEN dry kibble, freeze-dried foods or canned foods can be fed as a complete meal on their own or used in combination for a delicious meal. Some options to try:
- 100% Dry Kibble: Our ORIJEN Dry Kibble options offer a complete and balanced meal that can be fed just on its own.
- 100% Canned: Does your dog love soft food? Maybe you find that canned is easier for your dog to eat. Whatever the reason, ORIJEN canned food is a great choice to provide optimal nutrition and flavor.
- 100% Freeze-Dried Food: Freeze-dried animal ingredients provide your dog with a rich, concentrated source of protein and nutrients, similar to a raw diet – but in a convenient, dry form. Medallions should be rehydrated with warm water to be fed as a complete meal.
- Canned or Dry Combo:You can feed an ORIJEN dry recipe in the morning, and switch to one of our canned options when the dinner bell rings. This is a great way to keep your dog interested and excited about mealtime.
- Canned or Freeze-Dried Food As a Topper: Do you have a dog that is sometimes a little bit picky and you need to entice them, or do you want to add a delicious mix in to change up mealtime? Feeding ORIJEN dry recipes with a topping of our canned recipes or Freeze-Dried Foods may be a great fit that your dog will thank you for with tail wags galore.
Q. Do you have any feeding tips?
We recommend you feed twice daily. Simply divide the amount suggested on the feeding guide into two meals, spaced eight to 12 hours apart. For example, if the feeding guide calls for 1 cups per day, we recommend feeding ½ a cup in the morning and ½ a cup at night. You may need to adjust portions as you learn your pet’s ideal daily maintenance amount. These amounts may change over time as your pet’s age and activity levels change. Always keep in mind a lean dog or cat is a healthy pet.
Many dogs and cats have large appetites and will eat everything you feed them. As ORIJEN foods are highly palatable, you need to be careful not to overfeed, as this can cause issues such as loose stool or unwanted weight gain.
Q. How many treats should I feed?
We all love to give our pets treats. However, treats should be given in moderation and should represent 10% or less of your pet’s daily food intake. The rest should come from a nutritionally complete feeding program. When using treats frequently, such as during training exercises, try to use small pieces.